Hollywood was originally known as the Cauhenga Valley in the mid 19th century. However, in 1886 H.J. Whitley dubbed the area Hollywood and the name stuck. By the turn of the century the neighborhood had grown to become a small town. By 1912, major film making companies had taken up shop in Los Angeles. In those days, Thomas Edison's Motion Picture Patents Company held many patents with film technology. It drove a lot of filmmakers out west, and coupled with the bright sun year round weather of Southern California, Paramount, Warner Brothers, RKO and Columbia all became headquartered in the neighborhood. After that, the rest is history, as Hollywood's reputation in teh 1920s as Tinseltown became solidified--rife with movie stars glamour and film industry hedonistic excess. Visualize the development if this particular patch of the world globe in the following nine beautiful maps.
H.H. Wilcox & Co 1887 Map of Hollywood
H.H. Wilcox was one of the very firs people in history to own property in the newly dubbed Hollywood area. Him and his wife Daeida named dubbed their ranch Hollywood after moving from the midwest. H.H. Wilcox & Co was his real estate company.